Saturday, June 26, 2010

DPD Update: Attempted burglary

Hello everyone,

                I wanted to share an incident and some safety tips with you. On Monday we had an attempted burglary where the suspect rang the door bell and, upon not hearing a response, went to the rear of the house and broke out a window to enter. A resident was at the house and called 911 and the suspect fled the scene. This is a common M.O. for burglars to use. They will knock or ring the doorbell to see if anyone is at home. If no one responds, they assume the house is empty. Please pass on to your residents, that if they are at home and someone knocks or rings the doorbell, to make contact with them somehow. I would recommend leaving the door closed and talking to the person thru the door. If the resident is extremely suspicious of the person, they can call 911 immediately and then speak to the person. They may even want to say something such as “I’m not interested, I’ve called the police and you need to leave”.

                The residents should call 911 to report someone like this. They should try to get as accurate of a description as possible to include: age, sex, race, height, weight, clothing, hats, identifying marks. This will allow our officers to stop the person if they encounter them.

 

If anyone has any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

 

Thanks,

Officer W. Furman

Community Outreach Unit

Dunwoody Police Department