Hello Everyone
I received the e-mail below about another scam that is occurring in the area. Please pass out to your neighborhoods and tell them to be on the lookout. Call 911 if you are approached by these two females.
Thursday June 3, 2010 @ 1:35 pm I came out of T. J. Max on Ashford Center West.
I opened my car with my remote, only the drivers door opens, had my purse close to my body under my right arm. Non descript South American middle age, don't think she was Mexican asked me, "Where you get your shoes." I looked down, said, "On line, Zappos.com.." She said, "Very Cute". She came closer, was much smaller than I am though I am 72 and my back was hurting so perhaps I looked frail.
She then asked me where was the closest major post office. I started to direct her to the post office in the Wal-Mart shopping center. She then produced a nylon fabric zip top wallet with a plastic window on one side. It looked like a Fed Ex mailing Label with the addressee International Clearing House Zone 12. Everything else in the address was numbers and dashes.
She said I found this by my car. I asked inside and they didn't want to help me.
I asked if she had looked inside. She said no. I was holding the wallet, the pull tap was missing, I just had a manicure and was in a hurry. I opened it. There was a stack of what looked like $100.00 bills. I said "We need to call the police and reached for my cell phone in my pocketbook under my right arm. About this time another female, black 30 to 35 well dressed, hair slicked back approached from the front of my car, said "Don't Call the police. My brother is a police and they will just keep it.
I was late for an appointment. I opened the wallet again, now a $1.00 was on top, the woman who "Worked for a bank" said, There's probably $500.00 there. There's a Fed Ex office and pointed to it, the first woman said I am going to call my husband and disappeared. The second woman who "who worked for a bank" asked me where I banked, I told her I didn't know her well enough to share that information, I was late for an appointment got in my car and left.
Fortunately she did not fall for the scam! If it just doesn’t seem right, it probably isn’t!! They will ask you to withdraw more money from your account and then split the rest. The amount in their wallet is not what they say it is. Be On The LookOut!!
Mike
Michael W. Carlson
Sergeant/PIO
Dunwoody Police Department